Determining which is better between a gas geyser and an electric geyser can be challenging, particularly if you are new to geyser world. However, the best way to determine the better geyser between the two types of geysers is to look at the strengths and weaknesses of the two to known the best one to choose.
Gas geyser and electric geyser work differently and the two of them have their advantages and disadvantages while heating water.
In addition, consider the safety of the two types of geysers, the lifespan, cost, efficiency, performance, and how each of them work.
to choose right geyser by answering simple questions without reading the
Electric Geyser vs Gas Geyser
| Cost of Geyser
|| Little expensive:
6 liter instant electric geyser costs Rs. 6,000 to 8,000.
6 liter instant gas geyser costs Rs. 4,000 to 4,500.
| Cost of heating
|| 1 liter water costs around 80 paisa.
|| For Aadhar subsidy LPG:1 liter water costs around 40 paisa.
For non-subsidy LPD it costs 80 paisa.
|| Very safe
|| Completely unsafe: Strictly not recommended on the basis of safety
| Time required to heat the water
|| Little more
|| 3 times faster than electrical geyser
| Space requirement
|| Wall mounting space is enough
|| Require additional place to keep the LPG cylinder and proper ventilation
| Life span
|| Easily 5-7 years
|| Gas heating burners tends to damage frequently
|| Available as instant geyser and stored geyser
|| Available as only instant geyser
|| Difficult as you need to connect the LPG and should arrange outlet for fumes
|| Gas burning
|| No pollution
|| May releases carbon monoxide which needs to vented out carefully
|| At least 2 years on electric geyser
|| 1-2 years on gas geyser
| Popular brands
|| Bajaj, V-Guard, Havells, Racold, AO smith, Kenstar, Crompton
|| Bajaj, V-Guard
|| Crompton Rapid Jet 3-Litre Instant Geyser
|| V-Guard 6 L Gas Water Geyser
Gas geysers comes at economical prices and cost of water heating also less by using subsidy LPG. But considering significant safety risk involved in gas geysers we do not recommend gas geysers at all, prefer
electrical geysers only.
Gas geysers make use of Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) for the purpose of heating. These geyser types have no limited power to heat water. Gas geysers provide incessant flow of heated water and supply immediate heating. Gas geysers are less power efficient than electric geysers and have speedy recovery rate. No wonder they are the expedient choice for bigger families. Gas geyser are once popular
in cities like Mumbai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad. But people are slowly moving away from it in metros due to gas geyser requirements like large bathroom with proper ventilation.
But in fact gas geysers are picking up in tier 2 cities like Vadodara, Borivali, Mysore, Faridabad, Dehradun, Nagpur, Nashik, Surat. Significant repair queries are clear proof of it.
Types of gas geysers
- Instant geysers or tank less geysers
Needed by those who do not need large quantity of water at once. In India most of gas geyser manufacturers provides instant gas geysers only.
- Storage geyser (not available in India)
Needed by those need large quantity of hot water, for instance bath in bath tub. These geyser types are easy to repair as a result of their simple construction and operation. Storage geysers are well-liked geyser types in the market. These type of gas geysers very rare in India.
How gas geyser works
gas geysers work by heating water, making use of gas burner located below a big tank from where the heated water is delivered through pipe lines. In the course of heating, pressure accumulates in a gas geyser and the pressure valve intervenes and discharges the pressure.
Gas geyser advantages
- You have power to control the level and rate of heating
- Heating is steady, thereby supporting power preservation. You will conserve a large amount of heat energy if you use the hot water instantly.
- Suitable for a large family
- It is very easy to repair gas geyser
- You do not need electricity to run gas geyser
- Can run gas geyser on both pipeline natural gas and household LPG cylinders
Gas geyser disadvantages
To know which is better, a gas geyser or electric geyser, you also need to consider the gas geyser disadvantages.
- Strictly not safe. Can even leads to death. More details are in the next section.
- Require additional place to keep the LPG cylinder and
bathroom should have proper ventilation
- In India gas geysers had a very small market. Most of gas geysers are instant gas geysers only.
Storage gas geyser models are not available. Gas geysers are getting outdated easily
- Small life span as gas burners tends to damage frequently.
- Difficult to install and can only done by experts only.
- Gas geyser causes pollution because it releases carbon monoxide into the air in the course of burning LPG or natural gas
- Due to increasing gas prices and energy crisis, the cost of gas geysers is increasing everyday.
- Sediments build at the base of the tank after using it for a long period of time. You need to get rid of these on a regular basis. You only do this with the help of the drain in the tank.
How safe is gas geyser?
We do not recommend Gas Geysers considering its significant safety risk.
Read more at
and Times newspaper.
Because of this reason very few brands manufacture gas geysers.
There are no Havells gas geysers.
As Havells brand stands for safety they do not manufacture gas geysers. You can not find Havells gas geysers in the market. Irrespective of life risk if you still consider installing
the gas geyser do follow below guidelines.
- Do not ever install it in a confined area or space such as the bathroom. Install your geyser where there is adequate ventilation.
- Steer clear of keeping the geyser near corrosives, explosives, or inflammables. In addition do not keep any electric wiring near the geyser.
- Make sure that all the linking pipes are clean, anti corrosive and leak proof.
- Keep your geyser at a height at which you can see the pilot flame easily.
If Geyser is damaged and even you off the geyser still you can see the flame. It will be life savior.
- Avoid leaving your gas geyser or the tap on for a very long time.
Gas geyser efficiency
Due to the heat loss from the walls of the storage tank and exhaust gases, the storage gas geysers are pretty ineffective. With gas geysers, water remains hot always and this implies that power is used or lost continually as it is an excellent convenience.
Gas geyser performance
A gas geyser is capable of heating a 50 gallon tank in almost an hour and the time it will use to heat a tank of water again after use (recovery rate) is faster. In case of any power outage, gas geyser still work.
Gas geyser cost and lifespan
Gas geysers are less expensive than the electric geyser.
Bajaj Gas Geyser is one of the best gas geyser comes under price Rs. 5,000.
However, as far as lifespan is concerned, electric geysers have longer lifespan than gas geysers, depending on the owner maintenance and quality of local water.
Simply because of the convenience provided by electric geysers, they have become very universal. With electric geyser, copper coil is used to convert electricity to heat energy. More than a few changes have been made to this type of geyser but the fundamental principle is similar.
Types of Electric Geysers
Uses an electric heating element situated in the water tank. In order to reduce heat loss, high-efficiency units feature additional insulation. Two types of electric geysers are available to choose from,
electrical instant geysers and electrical storage geysers. Do read more about these filters at Instant Geyser Vs Storage Geyser
Electric geyser advantages
- You can install electric geysers nearly everyplace
- Electric geyser is easy to handle
- The energy source needed to heat the water is cheap
- No release of carbon monoxide because there is no burning of fuel
- Speed of heating is very fast
- Longer lifespan
Electric geyser disadvantages
- You need electricity to operate electric geyser. Do read
How to Reduce Geyser Electricity Consumption?
for more information.
- It is highly expensive to buy and operate
- Short circuit blow-off can lead to possible danger
How electric geyser works The flow of electricity conveys heat energy to the water contained in the tank and the water is then delivered all the way through the pipelines. It works on the convection principle.
Which is better, a gas geyser or electric geyser now that you can identify the types of gas and electric geysers. Which is better, a gas geyser or an electric geyser will depend on a number of factors including:
- Cost of insulation
- Cost of buying the geyser
- Space requirement
- Efficiency and requirements of the geyser
- The life expectancy of the geyser
It's the smart way to select the products without reading buying guides
Install the Android App now